Website St. Croix Regional Family Health Center
Summary of functions:
Dental hygienists work closely with and under the supervision of dentists. Promotes and maintains health by providing dental and oral health services
A full time, exempt position responsible for the direct provision of oral hygiene and appropriate preventive services to dental patients of the Health Center. The Registered Dental Hygienist will also be responsible for providing appropriate oral health information to individuals and groups.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Assists in the oral health management of all clinic patients.
- Obtains baseline oral hygiene assessment data based upon accepted principles of oral hygiene and periodontal care.
- Records patient-hygienist transactions as they occur in the patient’s dental record so that the dental record accurately and completely reflects the nature of the contact, the condition of the patient and the care or treatment provided.
- Provides oral health education and appropriate individual counseling for all center dental patients.
- Provides clinical oral hygiene services including dental prophylaxis, scaling, sealant application and fluoride application consistent with accepted professional practices and standards and in compliance with applicable state law and the center’s clinical protocols.
- Integration of appropriate patient dental hygiene care with other heal care professionals involved in the patient’s health care management.
- Organizes and performs preventive oral health presentations at on-site and off-site locations.
- Assists in the provision of technical assistance and health education in the community as requested.
- Participates in the PI program of the Dental Department of the center.
- Performs independent procedures as delegated and directed by a dentist in accordance with state regulations and law as well as Dental Department protocol and directives.
- Assists in the maintenance of all Dental Department areas in compliance with Dental Department directives and policies as well as center policies and procedures relative to infection control, exposure control and safety issues.
- Receives and places necessary telephone calls consistent with professional matters, clinic business and patient care of the Dental Department.
- Assists with various clinical and administrative functions of the center as appropriate and time permits.
- Insures the proper disposal of all contaminated or potentially contaminated materials in accordance with Dental Department directive and center policy as well as state federal regulations(s).
- Complies in full with the center’s Exposure Control Plan.
- Travels when necessary to meet operational needs.
- As directed by a supervisor, performs other related and/or necessary tasks to achieve organizational and programmatic goals and objectives.
- Responsible for personal compliance with all applicable federal, state, local and center rules, regulations, protocols and procedures governing the practice of dental hygiene and the clinical provision of dental hygiene services as well as those relating to, but not limited to, personnel issues, work place safety, public health and confidentiality.
- Attend required meetings.
- Assist with QI activities
- Participate in clinic team work groups.
- Self-direct, motivate and function successfully in a team environment.
Reports directly to the Dentist
Experience and/or Educational Requirements:
- Unrestricted license to practice Oral Hygiene in the State of Maine
- Current CPR (BLS) certification
- Graduation from an accredited school of dental hygiene.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective professional relationships with fellow healthcare providers.
- Ability to effectively relate to rural cultural characteristics of user population.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communications skills required.
- Ability to maintain appropriate clinical privileges required.
- Private professional malpractice insurance obtainable
Patient centered medical home duties:
- Practices team-based care
- Involved in huddles on daily basis per huddle procedure
- Attends required staff meetings
- Attends required training meetings
- Participates in clinic and team Quality Improvement processes
- Is invested in fostering patient self-management including involving the PCMH Care
- Attend monthly meetings at which clinics, PCMH, and best-practice procedures and business agenda are addressed
- Attend Performance Improvement Team and other QI committees as assigned
- All new employees must complete communication training, Health literacy and patient safety, within the first week of employment.
- All new employees must complete training in coordination of care for patients and maybe assigned to a care team to support patients and families in self-management, self-efficiency, and behavior change within the first 2 weeks of employment as administered by the practice manager.
- All new employees must complete training in population management within the first month of employment as administered by the office manager.
- All clinical employees must complete motivational interviewing training within 3 months of employment.
St. Croix Regional Family Health Center is an equal opportunity employer and provider.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org