Website St. Croix Regional Family Health Center
Behavioral Health Consultant (BHC)
Description of Duties and Responsibilities:
The BHC performs brief, time-limited, solution-focused interventions. She/he works with children, adolescents, adults, couples, and families consulting with health center staff as appropriate in accordance with the population-based care model. The BHC provides skills training through psycho-education and develops specific behavioral change plans for patients as well as behavioral health protocols for target populations. Patients are assisted with behavioral health issues affecting their health status. Medical providers are enabled to focus on medical issues, to delegate behavioral health issues, and to obtain regular consultation.
- Assists Primary Care Provider (PCP) in using the screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment (SBIRT) model to recognize and treat both mental disorders and the psychosocial issues accompanying physical illnesses
- Performs screening and assessments of the clinical status of patients referred by PCP through brief consultative contacts. Assesses/treats patients in short time blocks for a limited number of visits utilizing evidence based, solution focused methodologies
- Works as a member of the medical team in order to efficiently treat and manage patients with chronic or acute emotional and/or health problems and refers patients to external mental health or substance abuse specialists when appropriate
- Develops self-management plans with the patient and follows up to help them progress towards their mutually agreed-upon goals
- Teaches patients, families, and staff care, prevention and treatment-enhancement techniques
- Offers immediate access to PCP and nurses, including those times when she/he is consulting with patients, and provides necessary feedback to the medical staff as required
- Assesses crisis situations during regular working hours and assists patients in obtaining the appropriate referrals to other providers or facilities when indicated
- Keeps the PCP fully informed of the patients’ needs and progress and works with PCP in order to formulate/adjust treatment plans
- Schedules visits with patients before, after, or during their visits with PCP
- Maintains appropriate electronic records
- Participates in health center and program quality assurance and utilization review procedures
- Ensures compliance with legal issues including but not limited to client confidentiality and risk management, ensures compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Exhibits a high degree of courtesy, tact, and poise when interacting with clients, families, and other personnel.
- Adjusts to fluctuating peaks in client flow, acuity, and other operational demands while maintaining quality.
- Collects statistics and provides regular, written reports to the Executive Director and additional reports as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned to support the mission of the organization
Master’s degree in Social Work and license to practice independently in Maine; minimum of two-years of experience as a LCSW
The BHC is a member of the medical provider team and works under the clinical supervision of the Medical Director with peer support from the Behavioral Health Department.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience Requirements:
Familiarity with the principles of population-based care, evidence-based assessments, screening devices and self-management practices; ability to treat a varied patient population; ability to diagnose and treat various behavioral issues which accompany physical illness; high level of comfort in working with PCPs utilizing a consultative style; ability to work independently as well as in a collaborative health care environment; excellent organizational, writing, computer and interpersonal communication skills; working knowledge of psychopharmacology.
St. Croix Regional Family Health Center is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com